Tuesday, March 15, 2011

H2cOconut: Is Coconut Water Good for You?

Agua de Coco - Straight from the source.
I've always wondered about coconut water. It's a little too hyped for me to totally jump on board and when I saw that my (former) favorite brand of coconut water, Zico, was backed by Coca-Cola, Inc. it really left a really bad taste in my mouth.

So, I started doing a little research and found out right away that I wasn't the only one asking this question.

Time Magazine touts coconut water as "Nature's Hangover Cure".

I have a lot of experience in attempting to cure hangovers, and I have to agree. It IS a delicious way to help cure a hangover.

Not everyone agrees - Inc. Magazine describes the taste as "sock water". (They were talking about Vita Coco, and I have to agree there. Vita Coco is my least favorite brand). Good Morning America has a nice exposé on the liquid gold (it's a multi-million dollar industry) pouring out of young coconuts.

Huffington Post (who recently sold out to AOL for $315mil)  asks the question "Coconut Water: Myth or Miracle?" and raises a question I've asked myself:
"At $2-3 for a typical 11 fl. ounce tetra pack (equivalent to about 10 sips), is it really worth paying top dollar for, well, top water?"
All of this brings me back to a small, hot yoga studio in Philadelphia. (I am going somewhere with this, I promise). I was there last year for a wedding and I picked up the studio's brand, Real Coconut Water/Pulp from Taste Nirvana. Upon popping open the cap and taking a chug, I did indeed taste Nirvana. As I entered the gates of coconut water heaven, I knew I found my brand. Sold.

The only place I've been able to find the Taste Nirvana brand is in Apple A Day Market in Miami Beach (why are they so mean there?). I buy it by the case and it's totally worth it.

Update** Ewww - on a related note, we just received a tip that O.N.E. Coconut water is being recalled due to mold. 

No comments: