Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Studio Review: Corpo Yoga South Miami

Corpo Yoga, Miami, FL
This past Sunday I accepted an invitation to cross the bridge (a rare occurrence for me) and head down to Corpo Yoga in South Miami. 

Sunday, being my only day off, is usually a day when I find the hardest class in Miami Beach and sweat my soul out on my mat if I feel like practicing. I was a little hesitant to try something new, being the creature of habit that I am. 

I'm not going to lie - it took a little bit of persuading to get me to agree to go along for the ride. I wasn't sure if I could get out of bed, let alone be human enough to take a new class in a foreign studio. Luckily my compadre insisted and bribed with with pre-practice coffee and post practice lunch in the Grove. Sold. We were not disappointed. 


First, don't rely on any sort of GPS to help you locate the studio. For some reason every form of location device (iPhone Maps, Mapquest, Google Maps) lands you at a random intersection that is in no way Corpo Yoga. If you aren't familiar with the area, we recommend giving them a call. 

Waiting area, Corpo Yoga
Once there you will literally walk into the most beautiful, spacious studio in Miami and surrounding areas. Seriously, I was completely impressed. I felt like I was walking into the studio of my dreams - if I were to create a space it would look very much like this. Super warm decor, beautiful accents. On a scale of one to ten for ambience this place gets an eleven. 

Reception was warm. It isn't uncommon in Miami for the reception staff to not only be rude, but totally clueless. This was most definitely not the case at Corpo. We ended up chatting with the owner on arrival and she was so friendly and very passionate about her space and teachers. Very genuine. 

We ended up taking Kelly Brandon's 10:30 am Vinyasa Warrior class. Inspired by Primary Series (I like) but the best part about it was that she really opened up space for all levels, allowing my friend and I to play around and practice the postures we never get to do in Primary - at one point I was busting out a Crow in Full Lotus. It was a good Sunday. 

The only drawback to this studio for me is location. If it were closer to my little beach bungalow, I would be a regular. Unfortunately for me I'll probably only get to tag along there once in a while. Fortunately for those located in South Miami - you've got a world class yoga studio right in your back yard. 

Beginning in mid September, Corpo Yoga is offering a Anusara Yoga Immersion (100 hrs) with certified Anusara teachers Christy Nones and Peter Barber. Lucky for me, my compadre that introduced me to Corpo is taking the course, so I plan on learning vicariously through them and also trying to make a cameo there as much as possible. Namaste to the growing yoga community of South Florida!

Corpo Yoga Studio, 9030 SW 72nd Ct., Miami FL 33156, www.corpoyogastudio.com, 305-670-2010

No comments: